The Old Rectory Period Wedding Venue in Norfolk


Victorian Staff at The Old Rectory Period Wedding Venue in Norfolk


The Old Rectory Period Wedding Venue in Norfolk History


The Historic Old Rectory, Great Melton

Weddings | Anniversaries | Christenings | Family Gatherings

Built in 1851, the Old Rectory is a finely preserved Victorian country house, set in a secluded corner of rural Norfolk. The bustling centre of Norwich is a mere 7 miles away, but once you've ventured down the long, stately front driveway, cosmopolitan thoughts and 21st century pressures fall away with each step. Both the house, and its four acres of garden, woodland and orchard, have remained virtually unaltered since the 1850s.


The Rectory retains all its original architectural features. Inside, the rooms are unspoilt by modernisation; each has kept its furnishings and décor, and every door is a gateway to another era. The Old Rectory is one corner of England that has remained forever Victorian.


Eileen Pennington has been devoted to the Old Rectory since it became her much-loved family home in 1972. Her passion for costume, theatre and Victorian social history has seen the house host many period-flavoured events down the years.


The Old Rectory has been the venue for numerous Marquee Receptions over the past decade, and the setting for full Weddings since being approved a Civil Marriage License in 1999.


Contact Us Here to Arrange a Visit


More Background History of the Old Rectory.


The present house was built in 1851. The previous thatched roof house was too delapidated and was partly demolished.


There have only been four incumbents since the house was built until it was sold by the Church to the present owner in 1972.


The grounds and house are exactly as built apart from adding a bay to the study for the rectors desk.


The old cast iron range in the kitchen which burnt 1 ton of coal a month has been replaced by an oil drinking Aga. Mains water wasn't connected until the 1950's, before then the poor Rector had to pump water from a well to a huge tank in he attic.


The bells are still in place and still work in the downstairs rooms but careless builders cut some of the wires upstairs.


The huge lawn was laid when the house was built. The village green was added to the grounds and four men took turf from a nearby meadow to create the lawn.


All the outbuildings survive apart from the vinery and greenhouse.


The two bedroom gardeners cottage is unchanged apart from adding a bathroom and indoor taps. One gardener lived there with a family of 6 children.